If you are like me and you like to make things as while they are cheaper, they also usually taste better, then this is flapjack for you.
This is a great alternative to expensive energy bars. They taste a million times better than any commercial bar, has all the required ingredients for endurance activity and cheaper.
Pine nuts and almonds are packed with essential minerals, vitamins and “heart friendly” mono-unsaturated fatty acids that help benefit in reducing cholesterol levels in the blood.
Similarly oats are an excellent source of slow release energy and have additional antioxidant and cholesterol lowering benefits. The sugar content helps if you are on your knees, but this is well balanced by (good) fat content helping minimise the chances of a ‘sugar crash’.
- 125g Butter
- 150g Soft brown sugar or muscovado
- 125g Crunchy peanut butter
- 75g Honey
- 200g Porridge oats (not jumbo oats)
- 150g Dried fruit, Pine Nuts, Almonds (mixed).
- Line 20cm square tin (this will need to be 2-3cm high).
- Put butter, sugar, peanut butter, honey into a large pan on a very low heat & stir until it has all melted.
- Stir in oats, dried fruit, nuts and seeds.
- Place in the tin, and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle a few nuts on top.
- Bake at 160 degrees Celsius for approx. 30mins.
- Leave to cool, then cut into 4cm x 10cm blocks.
- Wrap the blocks in silver foil or cling film then refrigerate.